EDITOR’S NOTE: Lucinda Clark is editor of BP en Español. She teaches Spanish and is head of the language department at The Baptist Preparatory School in Little Rock, Ark.
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (BP) – Soon we will celebrate Thanksgiving in the United States. But what should we give thanks for? It’s 2020!
Give thanks? In everything? Even in…
COVID-19? The loss of a relative or friend? Not being able to have funerals or burials? Not being able to visit my loved one in the nursing home or hospital? Loneliness? The loss of sports? The loss of graduations and senior years and the “normal” college experience? Loss of jobs? The loss of attending church and fellowshipping with other believers? Having to wear a mask? Having to stay home? Not being able to find toilet paper and other necessities? The political unrest? Possibly not being able to spend the holidays with family and friends? And the list goes on …
The Word of God says in 1 Thessalonians 5:18 “…in everything give thanks, for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus.” Furthermore…verses 16 and 18 say, “Rejoice always; pray without ceasing.” These are some tough commands to fulfill in 2020! In everything? It is your will?
I want God’s will for my life! So personally, thank you God…
- For COVID-19, which has slowed me down and allowed me to be more intimate with you, Lord, and allowed me to serve others in ways I never would have. It has made me pray more for my pastors and my church. It has given me more time to exercise and eat healthy to take care of the body that YOU have given me.
- For being able to worship and praise you in virtual church services.
- For salvation and the Bible that I can read freely.
- For being the KING of politics.
- For the strength you have given to my friends who have lost loved ones.
- For my work as a teacher during these difficult times because I can encourage my students.
- For not having children of my own, because Isaiah 54:1 says “many will be the children of the desolate …”
- For a marriage broken by sin, because I can pray without ceasing that he will return to the fold.
- For my stage 4 cancer diagnosis, because you promise to be with me and use it for your glory.
- For your love, grace, mercy and daily forgiveness, and because I am never alone.
- For all the difficult trials. They have brought opportunities to glorify you.
- For the joy that only you can give me.
- For opening my eyes to see your hand in everything.
And the list goes on ….
Be thankful? In everything? Yes, I can be and will be because this is the will of God for me in Christ Jesus.