EDITOR’S NOTE: This is the fourth in a series of 10 articles on Bible Storying being published by Baptist Press and Baptist Press en Español. The series, which is appearing each week in BP and BP en Español (www.bpnews.net/espanol), is adapted from the book, “A Bible Storying Model” by J.O. Terry. To access the BP story collection thus far of this series, go to bpnews.net/BPCollectionNews.asp?ID=183.
FORT WORTH, Texas (BP)–The backbone of most Bible Storying evangelism strategies are basic Bible truths that are relayed through a list of Core Bible Stories:
1. How God’s Word came to us (not a core story but often an essential story for people who do not know the Bible as the source of authority).
2. Creation of the Spirit World (not a core story but a needed story for people who live in fear of evil spirits or who worship or appease spirits they fear).
3. Creation of the physical world.
4. Creation of man and woman.
5. The first sin and God’s judgment.
6. God’s judgment of a sinful world and salvation through God’s grace and man’s obedience (Flood story).
7. God’s promise to Abraham (promise of One to bless all peoples).
8. God provided the substitute sacrifice for Isaac (God will provide the Lamb).
9. The Passover — the sign of blood and the lamb (saved by obedience and the sign of blood).
10. God gives His holy Law — the Ten Commandments.
11. The sacrifice system — shedding of sacrificial blood as temporary covering for sin (Leviticus 17 — “it is the blood that makes atonement for one’s life”).
12. The Prophets’ message and promise of a Redeemer who would suffer for man’s sin (Psalms, Isaiah 53, Zechariah).
13. Birth of Jesus according to prophecy (Isaiah, Micah, Matthew & Luke).
14. Baptism of Jesus — testimony of God the Father, the presence of the Holy Spirit and testimony of John — “Behold the Lamb of God.”
15. Jesus taught as one having great authority (speaking words of the Father and doing what He saw the Father doing).
16. Jesus has authority to forgive sin — paralyzed man and four friends (or woman who anointed the feet of Jesus or woman taken in adultery).
17. Jesus has power over nature — calming the stormy sea, feeding the multitudes.
18. Jesus has authority over demons — man in synagogue, Gadarene Demoniac, boy with evil spirit, woman with spirit of infirmity.
19. Jesus is the resurrection — Jesus raises Lazarus to life, also Jairus’ daughter, widow’s son.
20. Abraham, Lazarus and the rich man — man must believe the message of the prophets in this life.
21. Jesus and Nicodemus — “You must be born again of the Spirit to enter the Kingdom of God.”
22. Jesus and the Samaritan woman — Jesus is the source of living water of salvation (John 7:37-38).
23. Story of prodigal son — God the Father forgives and restores those who repent and return to Him.
24. The wedding feast and refused invitations.
25. The Last Supper — “This is my body and my blood shed for you.”
26. Jesus is betrayed, arrested, falsely accused, tried and sentenced to death as He said would happen.
27. The crucifixion, decisions for and against Jesus by the two criminals, “It is finished,” testimony of the centurion.
28. The resurrection and appearance to disciples and other followers — “He is alive!”
29. Jesus returns to the Father, the Ascension.
30. Jesus the true High Priest (Hebrews 8-9), an advocate before the Father making intercession for believer’s sins (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25) (esp. for Catholics and Hindus).
31. Return of Jesus to receive believers unto Himself, to judge and punish unbelievers, Satan and the evil spirits thus fulfilling all promises and prophecies (Matthew 16:27; 25:32; John 14:1-3; Romans 2:16; 1 Corinthians 4:5; 2 Corinthians 5:10; 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17; 2 Thessalonians 1:7; 2 Timothy 4:1; Jude 14-15; Revelation 20:12; 22:12) (esp. for Muslims).
J.O. Terry is publisher of the Bible Storying Newsletter and the Journal of Bible Storying. He was a media missionary in Asia with the Southern Baptist International Mission Board from 1968-2003. Daniel R. Sanchez is associate dean of the Roy Fish School of Evangelism and Missions at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and director of the Scarborough Institute of Church Planting & Growth.