NASHVILLE (BP) – As Christians, we have a responsibility to pray for the leaders of our nation. Regardless of the president’s political party or positions on various issues, I have been faithful to pray for each president and vice president for decades. Our first and highest allegiance is always to the lordship of Jesus Christ and then to the words He gives us in the Bible, the Word of the living God, regarding how to live.
Therefore, how should we pray for our new president, Joe Biden, and our new vice president, Kamala Harris? I want to share some considerations as you and your church pray for each of them daily. Yes, we need to pray for them daily. The Bible says in 1 Timothy 2:1-2, “First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all those who are in authority, so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.”
- Acknowledge to God that He has placed them in these positions of authority. Daniel 2:21 says that God changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and establishes kings.
- Ask God to protect President Biden and his wife as well as Vice President Harris and her husband from the forces of evil that may desire to do them harm.
- Appeal to God that He will provide His wisdom to President Biden and Vice President Harris so they will see what God desires and be influenced by those around them who will give them the right counsel.
- Ask God to empower them to make decisions that will protect our nation at all times, leading us to be able to live tranquil and quiet lives in all godliness and dignity.
- Appeal to God earnestly that President Biden and Vice President Harris and all of their administration will find ways to work with both houses of Congress, bringing resolution to the most pressing needs facing America today.
Even as Jeremiah instructed the people of God who were in exile in Babylon, we need to remember what the Bible says in Jeremiah 29:7: “Pray to the Lord for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.”
God is able to sovereignly engineer people and circumstances to fulfill His will. All the leaders of our nation need to lead with a spirit of humility, respect for one another, a spirit of understanding and a determination to cooperate for America’s common good. Only God can bring a spirit of peace in their relationship together. This cooperation is necessary to collaborate for the good of our nation.
We need our leaders to be filled with God’s wisdom. We need our leaders to be filled with the courage to continually lead and protect our nation.
Regardless of who the president or vice president, the speaker of the House or majority leader of the Senate may be, we need to pray for our nation’s leaders. Regardless of the political party in power, they are subject to God’s power and we need to pray for them. Praying for President Biden and all the nation’s leaders has nothing to do with their party of affiliation. It does, however, have everything to do with your personal responsibility as a Christian.
America needs prayer today more than ever before. While we are facing multiple crises, our greatest problem continues to be spiritual. In fact, our spiritual crisis is the foundational cause of most, if not all, of the other ongoing issues confronting our nation. Proverbs 13:34: “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people.”
This is why we must continually call out to God to bring spiritual revival upon His church and spiritual awakening in America. By His grace and for His glory, we need God to bring the next Great Awakening to America now so the nations will hear about Him and know Him personally.
Now is the time to lead.