EDITOR’S NOTE: The following Call to Prayer was sent by Rick Lance, state missionary and executive director of the Alabama State Board of Missions, to Alabama Baptist church leaders in regard to federal court decisions overturning Alabama law defining marriage as the union of a man and woman. This article is adapted from the Call to Prayer email he sent statewide on Feb. 17.
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (BP) — During this radically changing era, Christians are called upon, as never before, to raise our voices in support of the sole legality of biblical marriage. But all is vain unless we have first raised our voices to God, asking Him to bring about a moral and spiritual awakening among us, in our churches and throughout our nation.
The purpose of this email is to invite your congregation to observe A Call to Prayer for Moral and Spiritual Awakening. (The suggested date is February 25.) Below is information that includes a possible order of service along with selected Bible passages for your consideration.
During the past few weeks, concerned Southern Baptists and other evangelicals have experienced grief and anger as cultural and governmental forces have attacked biblical marriage as the only sanctioned form in Alabama and beyond.
Prayer is indeed our most powerful weapon in the struggle to stand strong for biblical marriage and to remain faithful to God and His Word.
Please consider the suggestions listed below, and make a personal commitment to deeper devotion to our Lord and an unswerving commitment to the teachings of Scripture regarding marriage, human sexuality and the many other concerns of the Bible.
On February 24, during the Tuesday evening session of the Alabama Baptist State Evangelism Conference in Trussville, we will have a special prayer vigil for moral and spiritual awakening. You’re invited to any of the conference sessions. Schedule information is available at http://www.alsbom.org/sec.
One other note: In addition to the prayer service resources below, you might also be interested in a recent email I sent to Alabama Baptist pastors. The content of the email may be viewed as a webpage at http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=7592ccba1c293c22b956de8fa&id=d6adc7b4b1&e=0dcd5abd5c.
A Call to Prayer for Moral & Spiritual Awakening
Suggested Order of Service
1. Celebration (15 minutes)
* Worship God through Song (Hymns and Choruses that focus on God)
* Testimonies of God’s Goodness; Answers to Prayers; His Provision
* Prayer focused on God’s Greatness
2. Preparation (15 minutes)
* Why We are Here
* What We are Praying Toward — The Biblical perspectives for Revival & Spiritual Awakening
* Preview the format for our Prayer time
* Teaming up for Prayer Triplets or Prayer Partners & Prayer Huddles
(Prayer Triplet involves 3 people; Prayer Partner involves 2 people & Prayer Huddle involves 3 triplets or 3 partner groups praying together)
3. Prayer Time (20 minutes)
* Use the “ACTS” Model to Pray or Use the “PRAY” Model to Pray
* A Time of Prayer for Praising & Worshipping God
* A Time of Prayer for Confession & Cleansing — 1 John 1:9
* A Time of Prayer for Thanksgiving
* A Time of Prayer for Asking
Another Format involving Prayer Partners/Triplets & Prayer Huddles
* In Prayer Partners/Triplets – Prayer for Personal Revival
* In Prayer Huddles – Prayer for Church Wide Revival
* As A Congregation – Prayer for Revival Among all Believers
* In Prayer Partners/Triplets – Prayer for Personal Holiness/Purity
* In Prayer Huddles – Prayer for God’s Church to Be Holy
* As A Congregation – Prayers For All Believers to Live Holy Lives
* In Prayer Partners/Triplets – Prayer For the Lost Family, Friends & Neighbors
* In Prayer Huddles – Prayer For Lost in Our State
* As A Congregation – Prayer For A Spiritual Awakening in America
* In Prayer Partners/Triplets – Prayer For Local Political Leaders
* In Prayer Huddles – Prayer For State Political Leaders
* As A Congregation – Prayer For Our National Leaders
4. Closing (10 minutes)
* Testimony of what God has been saying during this Prayer time
* Committing ourselves to “Pray without Ceasing”
* Song of Celebration (In My Life, Lord, Be Glorified)
Selected Bible passages relating to Revival & Spiritual Awakening, adapted from the ministry of J. Chris Schofield:
* 2 Chronicles 7:14 (HCSB): “and My people who are called by My name humble themselves, pray and seek My face, and turn from their evil ways, then I will hear from heaven, forgive their sin, and heal their land.”
* Psalm 85:6 (HCSB): “Will You not revive us again so that Your people may rejoice in You?”
* Isaiah 64:1 (HCSB): “If only You would tear the heavens open and come down, so that mountains would quake at Your presence.”
* Psalm 119:37 (HCSB): “Turn my eyes from looking at what is worthless; give me life in Your ways.
* Habakkuk 3:2 (HCSB): “Lord, I have heard the report about You; Lord, I stand in awe of Your deeds. Revive Your work in these years; make it known in these years. In Your wrath remember mercy!”
* Acts 3:19 (HCSB): “Therefore repent and turn back, so that your sins may be wiped out, that seasons of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord.”
* 1 Timothy 2:1, 3, 4 (HCSB): “First of all, then, I urge that petitions, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone…. This is good, and it pleases God our Savior, who wants everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.”
Prayers for Spiritual Awakening
Selected prayers and Bible passages adapted from the ministry of Greg Frizzell:
* Holy Father, we humble ourselves and acknowledge Your righteous Judgment upon our sins. (2 Chronicles 7:14; Psalm 85:6)
* Righteous God, please send overwhelming love, godly fear and genuine repentance among Your people. (Psalm 51:17; Proverbs 28:13; Matthew 22:37-39; 2 Corinthians 7:1, 10)
* Righteous God, grant to us a mountain-moving faith and a passion for fervent prayer. (Jeremiah 29:13; Matthew 21:13; Acts 2:1)
* Holy Father, please bring us to loving unity in our churches and a deep harmony between our churches. (John 13:34-35; 17:20-22)
* Gracious Lord, please fill us with a burning passion to pray for and witness to the lost. (Matthew 28:18-20; Luke 19:10; Acts 1:8; Romans 5:5, 9:1-3)
* Lord of the harvest, please call thousands into ministry, missions and Christian witness. (Matthew 9:37-38; Acts 1:8)
* Holy Lord, we ask You to deepen and purify our very motives in praying for revival and blessing. (Ezekiel 33:32; Hebrews 4:12; James 4:1-4)
* Righteous Lord, we plead for Your grace upon persecuted saints around the world. (Matthew 26:39; James 4:1-4)
* Holy Father, we humbly ask for a mighty move of conviction in government and cultural leaders. (Psalm 2:8; 1 Timothy 2:1-4)
* Sovereign God: We ask You to rend the heavens and show forth Your awesome presence in sweeping revival. (Isaiah 64:1; Ephesians 5:26-27; Revelation 22:17, 20)
Seven Covenant Prayers for Revival and Spiritual Awakening, adapted from the ministry of Greg Frizzell
* Pray for God to have mercy upon the church and nation–(2 Chronicles 7:14; Jeremiah 29:13)
* Pray for love, repentance and holy fear to grip God’s people–(Matthew 22:37-39; 2 Corinthians 7:1)
* Pray for a spirit of faith and intercession in God’s saints–(Matthew 21:13; Acts 2:1; Hebrews 11:6)
* Pray for holiness, boldness and power in God’s leaders and churches–(Acts 1:8; 1 Corinthians 2:4)
* Pray for loving unity and oneness in Christ’s Church–(John 13:34; Acts 2:42-47)
* Pray for burning passion and power in evangelism and missions–(Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8)
* Pray for God to “rend the heavens” in sweeping revival and spiritual awakening–(2 Chronicles 7:14; Isaiah 64:1; Psalm 85:6)